Monday, March 4, 2013

nourish: sugar-free, dairy-free ice cream

I've been inspired by recipes around the internets for 'ice cream' using frozen bananas, or coconut milk. Trialling our littlest poppet on an A1 beta-casein free diet (well that's specific, isn't it?) has worked a treat in the rashy-skin, ear-infection department, but led to no joy in the treat department.

I like to give my kids ice cream. Because I love them with food sometimes. So I had a go at making some frozen goodness that wouldn't send my little one into an itchy mess.

I give you:

Banana-strawberry-mango Coconut 'Ice Cream'

In a food processor, I whizzed 3 ripe bananas, a nice punnet of strawberries, the flesh of two mangoes, a 400ml can of coconut milk* and some honey to taste- about a tablespoon.
I poured the mixture into some muffin tins, then popped in the freezer to set.
Back into the blender to whizz the frozen mix into smooth, creaminess.
Enjoy!

*Full-fat coconut cream would have been even better, I think. Or better yet, the coconut fat collected from the top of an unshaken can of coconut cream, especially if you aren't using banana.

2 out of 3 children approved of this recipe. Thankfully one of them was the dairy-free kid.

15 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks so good! We'll definitely have to give this a try soon.

    ♥ Talia Christine
    http://taliachristine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, definitly trying this, I try to limit my dairy sometimes as it was upsetting indis tummy, so this would work great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think about it, knowing that Ellie doesn't handle milk well, maybe that was her sleeping issue while we were feeding? Hope you enjoy the ice cream!

      Delete
  3. Yum! SOunds like a Thai style ice cream with the coconut and mango. I'm definitely giving this a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I'm eyeing off the ripe passionfruits for this next.

      Delete
  4. Mmmmmm, this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a Raspberry Sorbet last week which I'll be putting up on my blog as IT WAS WAY TOO GOOD TO KEEP A SECRET! Similar technique using frozen bananas which makes it dairy free, sugar free and fat free! I'll have to give this a whirl too...

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum! I accidently made sorbet with this too, after a second freeze, sort of a granita texture. Yum!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely mixture of fruit. Must try that combo. I sometimes freeze the fruit and then blend it with cream or yoghurt, or sometimes frozen cubes of Greek yoghurt with fresh fruit. It works really well in the Thermomix. BUT haven't tried coconut milk or cream. Must! Good to meet you via Veggie Mamma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!
    Did you do that in a standard blender?
    I would love to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh MDU, I have a cheapo, 10 year old food processor/blender from Aldi. She didn't cope that well with processing the frozen stage, so I went gently and pulsed. I'm sure it would be more awesome with an ice cream maker.

      Delete
  8. Looks delicious. and such a pretty colour.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freezing in muffin trays is a stroke of genius! I'll be doing that from now on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...